Personal Injury

When a person or company causes an accident or behaves irresponsibly, others often get hurt. They may suffer financial loss from hospital bills, lost wages and/or property damage. Those hurt also deserve to be compensated for the pain and other losses they suffered as a result of these negligent or wrongful actions.

Victims of such action in Des Moines can seek justice in our civil courts. When a person seeks compensation in court because they were hurt due to another's negligence or wrongful actions, it is called a "tort." They can have a skilled attorney fighting for them and representing them, both in negotiations with an insurance company and in the courtroom.

Des Moines Personal Injury Lawyer

At McCarthy & Hamrock, P.C., you will an aggressive Des Moines personal injury lawyer who will fight for you. We will seek compensation for your injuries and help you recover what you've lost. We can negotiate with the insurance company to get the highest settlement they will offer. If they don't offer a satisfactory settlement, however, we have no fear of taking them on in court. Our attorneys have more than four decades of legal experience for your to rely upon. Call us today at (515) 279-9700 to set up a consultation.

We are based in West Des Moines, and represent accident victims throughout the Des Moines area, including anywhere in Polk County or Dallas County.

Iowa Personal Injury Information Center

Back to Top

Negligence in Iowa

Most personal injury actions involve negligence. Negligence means that a person or a company was supposed to act in a certain way, did not act that way and, as a result, a person was injured. The plaintiff, or person filing the lawsuit, must prove negligence when suing by a preponderance of evidence, meaning he or she must show that, more likely than not, what they are saying happened indeed happened.

There are four "elements" to negligence, and the plaintiff must prove all four:

Back to Top

Damages You May Recover in a Polk County Personal Injury Suit

In a personal injury lawsuit, you may recover damages for what you've lost. These are called compensatory damages. There are two types of compensatory damages: economic and noneconomic.

Economic damages are the tangible expenses incurred due to the accident, property damage that occurred and money you lost out on as a result of the other party's negligence. These are things you can show a bill, receipt or paycheck to demonstrate your losses. They may be hospital bills, doctor's bills, physical therapy bills, costs to replace destroyed property, costs to repair damaged property, lost wages and lost ability to work.

Noneconomic damages are the less tangible but still very real damages you suffer. These damages can include pain and suffering, emotional anguish, anxiety, loss of enjoyment in life and disfigurement.

Depending on your case, punitive or exemplary damages may be available. Punitive or exemplary damages are meant to punish people for grossly negligent or intentional acts. Your Des Moines civil attorney can help you determine whether these damages might be available.

In most cases, you will be seeking to recover from an insurance company. The insurance company has lawyers on their side. They may offer you a settlement. The settlement is often much lower than the real extent of your damages. You do not have to accept this. Your lawyer can negotiate for a better settlement. If you are not satisfied with what they offer, your lawyer can take them to court.

Back to Top

Types of Des Moines Personal Injury Actions

Auto Accidents: Auto accidents are the most common cause of injuries in Iowa, and someone is usually at fault. They could be caused by speeding, not following the rules of the road, drunk driving, texting while driving or other bad driving habits.

Premises Liability: Property owners have a duty to people coming onto their property to keep their property safe. That duty depends on the victim's right to be on that property. Retail stores and other commercial property owners have an especially high duty to keep customers and clients safe from slip and falls and other accidents.

Workplace Accidents: When you are injured while working, you should be able to collect worker's compensation. But that may not cover the full extent of your injuries.

Medical Malpractice: Doctors and other medical professionals have a duty to meet the high standards of care set by their professionals. When they fail to do this, their patients suffer.

Back to Top

McCarthy & Hamrock, P.C. | Polk County Personal Injury Attorney

If you've been injured due to the negligent or wrongful acts of another, you deserve justice. A skilled Des Moines personal injury lawyer can help. At McCarthy & Hamrock, P.C., we are experienced trial attorneys, and we will put our decades of courtroom experience to work for you. Call us today at (515) 279-9700 to set up a consultation.

Tell Us About Your Case

How would you like to be contacted?

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

* All fields are required.

Our Office

1200 Valley West Drive
Suite 400
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Map and Directions

Proud Members Of

National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers National College for DUI Defense Iowa State Bar Association National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws


" Aaron, words cannot begin to tell you how appreciative I am of you/your firm, for all you did in my legal matter these past few months. Today was a great day. I think you for your professionalism/tenacity in getting my case suppressed/dismissed! Thank You Very Much. "


" I want to again thank you both for the deft, calm and professional manner in which you handled my case. Legal competence is often lacking these days, but you folks are truly skilled in representing a client, at least in my book. You made a potentially horrible situation bearable. I would highly recommend you to anyone, should that situation present itself. "

-Greg R.

" I just wanted to thank you for representing me in my criminal case. Honestly, I probably wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for you! So THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart! "

-Jamie H. Read More ›
Learn More ›