First Time Offender
Facing a criminal offense is stressful in any situation. For many individuals who are arrested, however, they are facing their first offense, and the experience can be overwhelming. The criminal justice system can be a confusing maze of paperwork, hearings, and meetings. Combined with the possibility of jail time and fines hanging over your head, defending yourself against a criminal allegation is incredibly daunting.
It is important that you have an attorney on your side that can guide you through the process ahead of you. Even your first offense can leave a mark on your criminal record that can hamper your opportunities for years to come. In many cases, however, a skilled attorney can help keep your first charge off of your criminal history.
Iowa First Offense Attorney
Timothy McCarthy II and Aaron Hamrock have dedicated their practice, McCarthy & Hamrock, P.C. to helping those facing criminal charges. Those facing charges for their first time are in especially dire need of experienced assistance. However, the legal team of McCarthy & Hamrock, P.C. can confidently take on your charges for you.
Call (515) 279-9700 today to schedule your free consultation. We can analyze your unique situation and carefully walk you through the options before you. We strive to provide open communication with each client, to minimize your stress through this process.
Common First Offenses in Iowa
Although any charge can be the first allegation against an individual, some of the most common first-time offenses include:
- Drug Charges, including possession of drug paraphernalia or prescription drugs
- Possession of marijuana
- A minor in possession of alcohol
- Traffic Offenses, including speeding
Some of these charges may seem like minor infractions, but they all carry the potential for serious consequences. The penalties can include prison time, fines, and a criminal history that can impair tour future opportunities. If you are a professional in certain fields, such as a doctor or teacher, your career could be jeopardized as a result of a criminal charge. An attorney on your side can help you keep a minor offense from impacting your future.
Pretrial Options for First Time Offenders Iowa
In many cases, a lawyer can help defend you before you actually appear in court. Especially for first time offenders, there are likely to be options that your attorney can pursue on your behalf.
- Meeting with Prosecutor – an attorney can represent you while meeting with the case's prosecutor. Based on your clean criminal bacjground, you may have a chance at your charges being reduced or dismissed altogether.
- Pretrial Intervention – Programs such as drug rehabilitation may be available to those facing non-violent charges. Your lawyer can inform your of the options available and take step s to keep you out of jail.
- Plea Bargains – a determined attorney may be able to negotiate a reduced sentence, or probation in lieu of prison time, in exchange for a no contest plea.
Finding a Lawyer in Des Moines to Defend You Against Your First Criminal Charges
Open communication is key while facing this stressful situation, and the attorneys of McCarthy & Hamrock, P.C. are determined to keep each client informed through every step of the criminal defense process. With our legal team on your side, we can pursue your available options and seek to keep you from spending any time behind bars. Let us protect your clean criminal record. Call us today at (515) 279-9700 to schedule your free consultation with our experienced attorneys in West Des Moines.