In 2016, the Iowa legislature created section 507E.3A for insurance fraud. Iowa's statute for insurance fraud provides that a person commits a class “D” felony if:
- the person acts in connection with any sale, solicitation, or negotiation of insurance;
- with intent to defraud another person either:
- willfully employs any deception, device, scheme, or artifice to defraud;
- misrepresents, conceals, or suppresses any material fact; or
- engages in any act, practice, or course of business which operates as a fraud or deceit upon another person.
A person who commits such insurance fraud that results in a loss of more than $10,000 is guilty of a class “C” felony.
Attorneys for Insurance Fraud in Des Moines, Iowa
If you are under investigation for insurance fraud in Des Moines or Polk County, or any of the surrounding areas in Iowa, then contact an experienced criminal defense attorney at McCarthy & Hamrock, P.C.. The attorneys at McCarthy & Hamrock, P.C. represent clients charged with a variety of financial crimes such as insurance fraud, extortion and money laundering.
Call (515) 279-9700 to discuss your case today.